This Page

has been moved to new address

Maybelline Baby Lips Smells Like It Is Meant For a Baby

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Perfectly Imperfect Beauty: Maybelline Baby Lips Smells Like It Is Meant For a Baby

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Maybelline Baby Lips Smells Like It Is Meant For a Baby

My lips are victim to Vancouver's dreary winter weather and have been chapped, cracked and peeling for weeks. Having run out of my beloved Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream, I needed a quick cheap fix ASAP. I snatched one of the Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balms at the drugstore checkout after remembering some positive buzz surrounding the release. 
The packaging feels quite cheap and flimsy but appropriate for the price point. I think that the lettering should have been written directly on the applicator instead of the cap just for marketing aesthetic purposes. 

The colour payoff is very sheer (the swatch below is after multiple layers) which is to be expected with a lip balm. The colour adds just a light flush to the lips with a slight berry hue which is flattering but I doubt that it would be visible on pigmented lips. The product wears for approximately 2 hours and does leave lips feeling moisturized and soft for an hour afterwards. I love that it has SPF 20 protections since we often overlook sun protection for the fragile skin on our lips. 
Now for the part that I just can't get past: the smell. All of the reviews I have seen about this product have called it "subtly scented" but I beg to differ. It has a nauseating, artificial, sickly sweet grape scent that permeates the air. The smell is so strong that it lingers in the room for more than 5 minutes after application. Others could smell it on me up to 15 minutes after application and likened it to cough syrup. Not attractive. I rarely encounter a product that I can not use because of the scent, but this is one of them. 

There are so many great tinted lip balms on the market right now, such as Burts Bees, that really outshine this product. 

Grade: C-

Labels:

7 Comments:

At March 11, 2012 at 11:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yikes! It sounds like it was made for tweens to me. I can't stand those kind of scents so thanks for the heads up!

 
At March 11, 2012 at 11:22 PM , Blogger Lydia said...

It is reminiscent of the Lip Smackers glory days of my elementary years.

 
At March 12, 2012 at 12:06 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hmmm, great review, I think I'm going to skip it. I agree- Burt's Bee- ALL THE WAY! The new colored ones are really cute too! I'm in Edmonton... so my chapped lips- ugh, the worst! Have a great day :)

 
At March 12, 2012 at 1:45 AM , Blogger Rebecca said...

Interesting review! I have the Baby Lips in Peach Kiss, and while I like it for when I'm in a pinch or on the go, I definitely won't be purchasing more. A tube of Blistex works better for me anyways... The scent is okay, and the color is wearable, but even the packaging reminds me of something that you'd find in the Bonne Bell section (not that I'm hating on Bonne Bell) - just something about them seems too juvenile for me to really appreciate or make a point of purchasing again...

 
At March 12, 2012 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Alice said...

I got the cherry one, and it smells just like cherry chapstick/blistex. It's OK. Nothing to rave about, but nice to have something else with colour and some moisture around.

Do you have the Burts Bees tinted lipbalms? Can you do a review with swatches? I hate that you can't test them in the store and since they're kind of expensive I've never actually tried them.

 
At March 12, 2012 at 1:04 PM , Blogger Lydia said...

@Rebecca: I can see this appealing to a younger demographic especially if they want to try integrating some colour into their morning routines without using makeup.

@Alice: I will add the Burts Bees lip balms to the review list! I really like them but agree that it is annoying that you can't test the colour before buying.

 
At March 14, 2012 at 6:24 PM , Blogger Brownsuga said...

I have to agree with Rebecca. I purchased this lip balm because I love my Blistex as well but I hate the fact that I have to use my finger to apply it. After using the lip balm once, I couldn't tell you where I put it. I hated the smell and I didn't feel like it did anything for my lips at all. I know I wont be buying this product again.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home